When its time to move on.

When you have to leave your home can result in mixed emotions; on one hand its a sad time, yet can be filled with excitement and glee all in the same moment.

You are leaving old memories behind to start a new beginning. The measuring marks on the door as your child grew, that chipped tile from the time your late grandparents visited.

When the home you are leaving has bought you many years of joy; the raising of children, the lovely garden you created, the friends in the neighbourhood you made over the years. You feel a sense of loss, an almost “I wish I had not sold” feeling. Sometimes fate or necessity forces us to move forward.

Sometimes, we are glad to be gone. Glad all the sadness we have known for so many years is being left behind.

Whatever the reason for moving, everyone has a reason.

The home is:

  • too big,
  • is too small,
  • too old,
  • is too far from family,
  • too far from shops now you do not drive,
  • is too far from the school your child starts next year,
  • your mortgage is too high,
  • you want to release equity,

and the list of reasons goes on and on.

But regardless of the reason we all have pangs of feelings when we leave a house we have lived in for years, be they good or bad.

How can we make the move less painful?

Try not to dwell on the past but look with excitement and anticipation to the future even it is a bit scary.

It is obvious your move was created by wish or necessity so holding a post-mortem on why and doubting your decision is not going to help you forge new friends and bonds with in your new surroundings.

You may be a young couple with a toddler, and you want to expand your family, but the 2br unit is not really the ideal property when there are 3 or 4 other units cramed around you.  You will be excited at the prospect of a  3- or 4-bedroom home, on its own section, fully fenced to keep toddlers in, close to the kindergartens and schools, and close to the playground where you can meet other young mothers and form strong friendships.

If you don’t want to sell, is there an alternative?

You may be amid a separation, whereby you must sell the home to give a partner his or her share of the equity.  If this is the case, be a little cautious unless you are sure you are going to receive enough to buy another property, be it perhaps not in the same area.    You can’t afford to buy your partner out, ask if your bank will consider rent as part income towards a loan, consider taking in a border or two.  If the thought of having someone in your home 24/7 does not appeal, you can hire portable rooms for around $70 a week.

Flatmate rent seems to vary throughout the country, but not quite as you would expect.  They pay between $150 up to around $220 but it is best you look perhaps on a website such as flatmates  and see what others in your area are asking in the way of rent from flatmates remembering to factor in whether it not the rent includes power, water phone etc or is that extra.

It is also wise to have a Flatmate Agreement even if you own the property.

You can download a flat-sharing agreement template from the Tenancy Services website

Enough about flatmate situations.

What if you don’t want to stay, or still can’t afford to?

Where do you go ?

You have all your furniture and personal belonging to contend with, and if you work, you have either to stay close by or find another job which might be easier said than done.

If  there are children to consider this can be a very frightening time for you, because everything will be disrupted.

Here is where you need a Lawyer (Community Law will listen and help),  Citizens advise and your doctor.  The Lawyer can write on your behalf to a Social housing organisation, Housing NZ and Selwyn Foundation are just 2 of many,  the Lawyer (attaching the doctors referral letter) can show your case as urgent.   A letter from yourself to the Minister of  Social Development  stating the urgency will not go amiss.  Keep ringing them every day, no matter how sick they get of your phone calls.

Someone close to me has gone thru this trauma and if you really can’t get something moving and are in true desperation, if not for your sake,  but the sake of your children, bite your pride bullet and contact a refuge centre who will give you and your children shelter and help to find you a new home.   The refuge centres are not just for domestic violence, they will help anyone in a desperate situation.

I hope this article helped you, and for any questions just write to

We are a Referral company which finds a great experienced and successful Agent to sell your property and the referral for all NZ home seller is totally free.

Home sellers can ring 0800 355 655 for more information.